Metal doors are highly durable and can withstand the test of time. However, like any other metal surface, metal doors can rust over time. Rust is very unsightly and it can also implicate the durability of your metal door. If you are looking to remove doors in rust, here are some tips that you can follow to help you complete the process with ease. Shop for quality door hinges at Hinge Outlet, Inc. today for workmanship that you can trust.
Doors in Rust
When rust has started to appear on your door, it is recommended for you to remove it as soon as possible. This is to prevent the rust from spreading and further implicating the durability of your door. Below are some simple steps that you can take to remove door rust:
- Scraping Rust:First, make use of a wire brush to carefully scrape off the rust. During this process, you may also inevitably remove some paint too. Try not to apply too much pressure to avoid leaving any scratches on the surface of the metal door.
- Sanding Surface: If the rust is still visible after scraping, make use of a piece of sandpaper to sand off the rusty surface. Move in a circular motion and remove any dirt and dust with a soft brush.
- Applying Vinegar: Dip a sponge in vinegar and dab it onto any rust that is left behind. Let the vinegar settle for at least 30 minutes. If needed, you can apply more vinegar to the affected areas.
- Applying Baking Soda: After the vinegar step, you can make use of baking soda for any further traces of rust. Make a paste composed of baking soda and water and apply the paste onto the affected areas and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Afterward, clean it off with a soft cloth.
- Washing: The above steps would most likely cause the rust to finally disappear. To wash the surface of the door, make use of ordinary detergent with a little bit of water. Rinse the mixture thoroughly afterward and wipe it off with a clean towel.
- Sealing:After the surface of the door is clean and dry, you can apply a rust sealant to prevent the metal surface from rusting again in the future. Apply the rust sealant to the entire door to protect all of its surfaces.
- Painting: If you decide to re-paint the metal door surface, wait for a few days to ensure that the rust sealant has completely dried. Paint the affected areas or the whole metal door depending on your personal preferences.
Replacing Doors and Hinges
Replacing doors and hinges can be an easy project to undertake if you have the right resources and skills. At Hinge Outlet, Inc. we make it easy for you to take on the replacement project on your own so you can save some money. We provide a wide range of door hinges, levers, knobs, and more. View our catalog or get in touch with us for any assistance.
Buy Top-Quality Door Hinges from Hinge Outlet, Inc. Today
Hinge Outlet, Inc. provides free shipping for any orders above $100 and provides product exchanges if customers ordered the wrong finish or size. We also offer refunds if you are not satisfied with the product quality.