The door hinges that you choose for your cabinet will help you to determine their durability and design. Inset hinges are usually the main option chosen by users who are seeking a more minimalistic look. For overlay hinges, they are preferred as they appear more basic and traditional. If you are wondering what is an overlay hinge and its difference from an inset hinge, here is what you need to know.
Inset Hinge vs. Overlay Hinge
The main differences between an inset hinge and an overlay hinge are their style, cost, and function. Inset hinges are often used for decorative purposes and they are much more costly. They are used for inset cupboards whereas overlay hinges are used for overlay cupboards. Overlay hinges are also much cheaper in price and they are less visible.
Pros of Inset Hinges
- Sleek Appearance:Inset hinges allow cupboard doors to be flush with the frame, thus offering a tidy appearance.
- Decorative: Inset hinges are available in a variety of striking designs along with a range of metals that can easily complement any interior style.
- 180° Range: Inset hinges are visible so they will let you easily open cabinet doors fully. This wide range will stop the door from being an obstruction when in use.
- Soft-Close: Protect hands from injury; ideal for households with young children.
Cons of Inset Hinges
- More Expensive:Inset hinges are the most expensive in the collection of hinges.
- Pro Installation: Installing inset hinges requires professional skills. DIY projects are not impossible but there will be a risk of misalignment, causing the inset hinges to become fragile.
- Non-Adjustable:Strap hinges or butt hinges cannot be adjusted once they have been installed.
- Visible Leaves: There may be visible leaves in some inset hinge designs that may appear unattractive.
- Limited Range: Hidden mounted hinges offer a range of 110° or less. Cabinet doors protrude from the frame and may be an obstruction.
Pros of Overlay Hinges
- Affordable:Overlay hinges are priced at more affordable rates as compared to inset hinges.
- Adjustable: Even after installation, overlay hinges can still be adjusted with minimal effort.
- Easy Installation: Overlay hinges are recommended for DIY projects as they do not require professional installation.
Cons of Overlay Hinges
- Less Minimal:Overlay hinges are for use with overlay doors, thus some models are much less modest. Depending on your style preferences, overlay hinges may not be suitable for you.
Selecting the Right Type
Overlay hinges are known to have several disadvantages as compared to inset hinges. Overlay hinges are much easier to install on your own even without professional skills. They also cost much less than inset hinges so they are suitable if you are seeking a more affordable option. However, for homeowners looking for a much more minimalistic design, inset hinges are more suitable. Both types of hinges can be installed by a professional so you can rest assured that they will provide ease of usage for an extended period of time. Approach Hinge Outlet, Inc. if you have any inquiries.
Buy Top-Quality Overlay Hinges from Hinge Outlet, Inc. Today
Hinge Outlet, Inc. provides free shipping for any orders above $100 and provides product exchanges if customers ordered the wrong finish or size. We also offer refunds if you are not satisfied with the product quality.
If you have any questions about our overlay hinges, feel free to contact us today.